Re: HTML Form Protocol Attack

From: Gustavo Molina (gustavobtat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 20:30:49 PDT

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 23:48:19 -0300 (SPO) , Barnaby Gray <bgrg2at_private>
    (Barnaby Gray) wrote:

    >You're right, after attempted again I managed to get it to login to my
    >FTP server, but ftp was not the best protocol to try it on considering
    >the way data back from the server is sent, which there's no way of
    >fiddling.

    I believe using this attack it may be possible to remotely open a netfilter
    (iptables) based firewall, if kernel < 2.4.5, using another bug shown in Red Hat
    Advisory RHSA-2001:052-02 / Issue date: 2001-04-19. That is, according to the
    advisory:

    'A vulnerability in iptables "RELATED" connection tracking has been
    discovered. When using iptables to allow FTP "RELATED" connections
    through the firewall, carefully constructed PORT commands can open
    arbitrary holes in the firewall.'

    []'s
    Gustavo Molina
    Network Administrator - Sao Paulo - Brazil