Re: Relaying in MDAEMON.

From: Alun Jones (alunat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 08:12:31 PDT

    At 02:19 AM 8/17/2001, buggzy wrote:
    >As an addition to previous posting: one ISP administrator complains that
    >MERAK 2.10.240 SMTP server is also vulnerable to such unauthorized relay. I
    >don't test it myself.

    Many mail servers are vulnerable to unauthorised relay from people who
    specify a "MAIL FROM" address at the ISP hosting the mail server.  This is
    a frequent source of spam, and can usually be addressed by changing options
    in the mail server, and using such things as SMTP AUTH, and
    POP-before-send, on those connections that are not sourced on the ISP's
    networks.

    Alun.
    ~~~~

    --
    Texas Imperial Software   | Try WFTPD, the Windows FTP Server. Find us at
    1602 Harvest Moon Place   | http://www.wftpd.com or email alunat_private