Administrivia: HTML Email Thread

From: aleph1at_private
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 11:48:50 PDT

    While this is an interesting issue, I am killing this thread. The behavior
    of email clients that automatically retrieving data from remote servers without
    the users knowledge or consent when rendering HTML messages can be considered
    a risk, and certainly is considered as such by some.

    As described on the list in the past, similar behavior is exhibited by
    other applications and document formats. For example, Microsoft Word
    documents with embedded images.

    It think we are all in agreement that email clients should at least alert
    users when fetching remote content and ideally allow the user to disable
    such behavior.

    At this point a number of workarounds and suggestions for alternate mail
    clients have been discussed. Further discussion is off-topic for the list.
    If you want to continue discussion this issue the RISKS forum is more
    appropriate.

    --
    Elias Levy
    SecurityFocus