Starfish Truesync Desktop + REX 5000 Pro multiple vulnerabilities

From: Valentin Butanescu (valiat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 00:44:18 PDT

    Background: REX 5000 is a credit card sized PDA, made by Xircom (which now is
    "An Intel Company"). It is coming with a good PIM program, Starfish
    (www.starfish.com) Truesync Desktop (which is probably a new rewrite of the
    well-known Starfish Sidekick). I just downloaded the last version, 2.0b. I
    noticed a couple of vulnerabilities:

    1. Like many other PIMs (or word processors, etc) Truesync desktop allow you
    to set a password for accessing the files with contacts, notes, etc. But
    a. the actual files are not encrypted, not even "scrambled" so anybody with
    can view them anyway
    b. the password is stored in the registry, under the key

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Starfish\TrueSync Desktop\Version 1\PASSWORD\pswd

    The algorithm for storing the password is obvious : if the password is abc the
    key is 097098099 - this is the ASCII codes for the letters concatenated. No
    other comments.

    2. The device itself has 6 keys - and you can set a 5 key password (this is
    diffrent from the above password). The keyspace will be 7776 keys possible
    (almost 13 bit key - waw !). It is somehow cumbersome to bruteforce via the
    keys - but using the serial cradle (included) to bruteforce 7776 keys is a one
    hour task. The fatal flaw here is that there is no delay between entering the
    passwords (preferably a delay that increase with the number of unsuccessful
    attempts).

    3. The included software also can be used to make backups of the entire
    device. Any manipulation of the device or backups will require the device
    password (if one use the included software), so a normal user will assume that
    the data is somehow safe. But not, the backup file includes the device
    password (cleartext) !

    Fixing the problem(s)

    A. For the software. Use a real good symmetric encryption algorithm to encrypt
    the data. This will require a major rewrite of the software. As a workaround
    you can store all the data on an encrypted filesystem, like pgpdisk or
    Jetico's bestcrypt.

    B. For the device. Entering and remembering 128 bits with 6 keys will be very
    hard and no user will be willing to remember and enter each time 50 (!) keys.
    But what the manufacturer can do is to have a delay (preferably a delay that
    is exponentially expanding with the number of unsuccessful retries).

    DISCLAIMER: These are my opinions and have nothing to do with my employer.