qpopper and pam.d

From: Charles Chear (prestoat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 10:16:30 PDT

    Hello,
      Take a look at the two sessions I have with Qpopper on a Redhat Linux 7.x box from
    an RPM package of version 4.0.1.

    Existing account:

    [root@bart /etc]# telnet 10.10.10.1 110
    Trying 10.10.10.1...
    Connected to 10.10.10.1.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    +OK ready  <22975.998689264at_private>
    user validuser
    +OK Password required for validuser.
    pass valid
    -ERR [AUTH] PAM authentication failed for user "validuser": Authentication
    failure (7)
    +OK Pop server at target.host signing off.
    Connection closed by foreign host.

    Non-existent account:

    [root@bart /etc]# telnet 10.10.10.1 110
    Trying 10.10.10.1...
    Connected to 10.10.10.1.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    +OK ready  <22984.998689464at_private>
    user fakeuser
    +OK Password required for fakeuser.
    pass fakeeeee
    -ERR [AUTH] Password supplied for "fakeuser" is incorrect.
    +OK Pop server at target.host signing off.
    Connection closed by foreign host.

     If you take a look carefully between the two sessions, both give different
    auth fail responses. Using this, you can brute force and verify an account
    exists or not. The problem, I'm assuming, is the intrusion of pam.d in the
    whole authentication process.I also tested this on an FreeBSD 4.3 box with
    qpopper 4.0.3. There, the same fail response was given whether or not the
    username really did exist. I've also tested an install of qpopper on
    Redhat straight from a tarball that compiled without PAM support. It
    responded securely and as it should.. with the same response whether or
    not the account really exists.

      In conclusion and from what I have seen so far, the problem lies within
    the PAM integration with qpopper and not qpopper itself. The simplest
    solution would be to compile qpopper without PAM support.

      Adios,
       Charles Chear

       The Poor Gurus' Network
       http://www.tpgn.net