Re: easy remote detection of a running tripwire for webpages syst em

From: Johnny Cyberpunk (johncybpkat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 09:03:40 PDT

    Jordan,

    i patch my servers by editing the binaries ( httpd and the modules i'm
    using) with a hexeditor.
    This works for me very well and i never had problems with that.  If you're
    using this way,
    you have to patch on multiple offsets. Not only ' HEAD / HTTP/1.0 ' gives
    information on
    the used Apache version, ie. also a non valid request or non existing file
    gives info.
    Also be careful, while patching ! Don't use longer strings as the original
    text !
    Terminate the string with ' 00 ' and if you don't want to show any
    information, the first byte
    in the string should be ' 20 '  hex and the next ' 00 ' !

    Another possibility is to find the program lines for a HEAD request to
    modify its answers.

    Or try to find every string where the servername or modulename is mentioned
    in the sourcecode.

    cheers

    johnny cyberpunk