Solaris LPD Exploit (fwd)

From: Dave Ahmad (daat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 15:08:09 PDT

    Hey,

    The exploit that was attached to this message cannot be distributed..
    so below is the original message sent to BUGTRAQ without the exploit.

    From the exploit:

    /*
     * remorse
     * Solaris 8 in.lpd remote root exploit
     * by ron1n <shellcodeat_private>
     * July 2001
     *
     * Written for 7DFB/TESO members and friends. Private, do not distribute
     * negligently, etc. etc. An unpublished vulnerability is exploited. I think
     * this is what they call 0day warez.
     *
     * This is not the ISS hole -- that one doesn't seem to be exploitable on the
     * SPARC architecture. I spent a week studying all of the lp binary and library
     * code trying to find a nice overflow that would be exploitable on SPARC. This
     * is the best I could come up with though. I'm disappointed because it's very
     * similar to the old SNI/NAI BSD lpd vuln and the l0pht/@stake Linux lpd vuln.
     *
     * There are no printer conditions that have to be met. If the system happens
     * to be running in.lpd, consider it owned. It can be a noisy attack; other
     * than possible syslog locations, evidence will exist under /var/spool/lp/tmp,
     * /var/spool/lp/requests, and the mail spool directory (/tmp).
     *
     * The exploit targets four programs: in.lpd, lpsched adaptor, /bin/mail, and
     * sendmail. Obviously there are going to be differences among Solaris releases
     * and individual configurations. For instance, the Solaris 7 version of in.lpd
     * doesn't have IPv6 support like the Solaris 8 version does, so if your IP
     * address doesn't reverse-resolve, in.lpd will create a different directory
     * on each release. I've handled this now in case I do a rewrite, but Solaris 7
     * has other issues that need to be investigated. Solaris 2.6 looks even worse.
     * If someone hooks me up with source code, I'll try to add 7 and 2.6 support.
     *
     * If you're not getting results, try playing around with some command line
     * switches or some files in the exploit tarball, particularly 'script'. The
     * system's responses, or lack thereof, can tell you everything you need for
     * a successful exploitation.
     *
     * Now you too can sleep well at night knowing that there are still ways to
     * compromise a Solaris box remotely without relying on Sun's rpc nightmare.
     *
     * "Something about you is very wrong..."
     */

    Dave Ahmad
    Security Focus
    www.securityfocus.com