RE: verizon wireless website gaping privacy holes

From: Jeff Carnahan (tailsat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 02 2001 - 23:36:14 PDT

    } I tried random session IDs and they gave similar
    results, except the
    } minutes used changed, and so did the phone
    } number. I think this is a major problem myself.
    Phone numbers could
    } be gathered for marketting etc etc.
    }

    In addition to the exposed cellular numbers and usage
    information, the session ID also yeilds the user's
    account/login name.

    Using a URL similar to the one provided earlier, again
    taking advantage of the sequential nature of the
    session ID code, you should look at the URL being used
    to load the pop-up windows. It contains a parameter
    "p_userid" set to what appears to be the
    login/username of the subscribers account. Different
    session id's yeild different usernames, some include
    the zip code of the subscriber which allows them to be
    easily located in conjunction with the telephone
    number revealed in the "View my recent usage" section.

    Also included in the URL is the users verizon account
    number, market information, & session timeout date...

    One session ID produced the message:

    DFS555I TRAN ACOPT07H ABEND S000,U4010 ; MSG IN
    PROCESS:                        ACOPT07H GETUSGA
    INTERNET08448771
          2001/245  23:20:53

    The spacing is exactly as it appeared. Perhaps this
    will sound the alarm to Verizon that they have a
    serious problem.

    --
    Jeff C.