KaZaa/Morpheus non-exploits

From: Walter Hop (walterat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 15:42:47 PDT

      [In the past weeks, there have been several reports of "exploits" in
       the Kazaa/Morpheus filesharing programs. The original thread has been
       killed, but since the original messages might come up in search
       engines, I thought it still relevant to explain further that these
       are not exploits and there currently is no proof that running the
       Morpheus client is dangerous.]

    Instead of using an own proprietary protocol, the file-sharing program
    Morpheus uses a light-weight HTTP server which is reachable at
    http://yourip:1214/ (this should work on Windows 2000 systems as well).
    HTTP is used for getting filelists and transferring files. As a nice
    side effect, this enables non-Morpheus-users to retrieve files from
    Morpheus clients. Some of the HTTP headers display the username, network
    name, and node that the Morpheus client is connected to:

    Originally this was used for their browser-based file search tool; this
    tool has since disappeared from their website.

    Details on Morpheus' architecture can be found here:
    http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2001/07/02/morpheus.html?page=2

    A negative comment must be made: this feature is poorly documented. I
    think not many kids running Morpheus actually know that they have a
    web-server running which exposes their user-ID and their files to the
    world. (Although I doubt that even when it was documented, people would
    actually take the time to read and understand it.)

    A firewall could be used to deny these incoming HTTP requests to port
    1214; this will also disable transfers to/from some users. (If I recall
    correctly, Morpheus does support a "passive" scheme; but at least one of
    the two peers involved must accept incoming HTTP requests at the port,
    in order for a connection to be established.)

    --
     Walter Hop <walterat_private> | +31 6 24290808 | PGP key ID: 0x84813998