RE: Possible Issue with Netinfo and Mac OS X

From: Dixie Flatline (echo8at_private)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 04:57:26 PDT

    I have kept quiet about this to this point because I have not contacted Apple,
    or given the vendor any opportunity to respond, but if this discussion is
    going to be held in public, I think the following points are worthy of
    discussion:

    * /usr/bin/nireport can be run by any user and can pull essentially the same
    information (including cyphertext passwords and password hints).

    * /usr/bin/nidump can be used for pretty much the same thing.

    Either of these can be run by any user, regardless of whether or not that user
    exists in the sudoers file (which is to say whether or not that user is
    allowed to "admin" the box).

    * The netinfo GUI (/Applications/Utilities/NetInfo Manager.app/Contents/MacOS/NetInfo Manager) is suid to root and will give out this information without
    requiring authentication.

    My system is running 10.0.4 (build 4Q12) with the Web Sharing update installed.

    echo8