Re: verizon wireless website gaping privacy holes

From: Kevin Fu (fubobat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 05:37:20 PDT

    >One quick thing I would like to bring up is: people are noticing this
    >problem when things like session keys or account numbers are passed in the
    >URL, however, I believe that many many more sites pass this info with a
    >cookie, and this is just as bad, but harder to notice.
    >
    >If you wonder about this problem with any web site that you use, I suggest
    >grabbing Achilles.

    See http://cookies.lcs.mit.edu/ for information on reverse-engineering
    cookie authentication schemes.

    Verizon is not alone in having predictable session IDs in URLs.  We
    document plenty of sites with similar problems in a tech report.  For
    instance, we were able to extract the secret key used to mint cookie
    authenticators at WSJ.com.

    --------
    Kevin E. Fu (fubobat_private)
    PGP key: https://snafu.fooworld.org/~fubob/pgp.html