RE: ProFTPd and reverse DNS

From: Jeroen Massar (jeroenat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 15:41:06 PDT

    Peter van Dijk [mailto:peterat_private] wrote:

    <SNIP>

    > The mantra is simple: log IPs. Always.
    My idea.... but checkout "good old" unices wtmp facility, which has a
    nice PR: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=22595

    And this affects most unices...

    Your reading material for today:
    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/search.cgi?words=Changes+to+utmp%2C+wtmp+%26+
    lastlog+entries&max=100&sort=score&index=recent&source=freebsd-security&
    source=freebsd-arch

    The bugtraq funpart:
    8<----------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------
    $ host -t ptr 10.0.0.1
    1.0.0.10.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain name pointer www.fbi.gov

    $ host -t a www.fbi.gov
    www.fbi.gov has address 32.96.111.130

    And then your average dumb admin does a 'who' and oooooh... That dude is
    leet he/she/it logs in from www.fbi.gov
    It's also great for your logs... "My box got hacked from www.fbi.gov,
    the feds are on to me" nice quotes :)

    IRCd and many more (even PuTTY
    (www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) :) do a:
    - Resolve IP -> hostname
    - resolve hostname -> IP2
    - if IP1 != IP2 then hostname = IP1

    That's the problem reported in the 22595 PR...

    But it get's even worse (evil grin :), this is a nice trick you can do
    to fool your ssh which IMHO should be a nice PR on it's own:

    8<-----------
    jeroen@purgatory:~$ w
     6:08PM  up 93 days,  9:58, 1 user, load averages: 0.19, 0.13, 0.14
    USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
    jeroen           p1       hell.unfix.org   10:16AM     - w
    jeroen@purgatory:~$ w -n
     6:08PM  up 93 days,  9:58, 1 user, load averages: 0.16, 0.12, 0.13
    USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
    jeroen           p1       10.100.13.66     10:16AM     - w -n
    ------------>8

    And guess what:
    8<-----------
    jeroen@purgatory:~$ netstat -an | grep \.22 | less
    tcp6       0      0  3ffe:8114:2000:2.22    3ffe:8114:2000:2.1628
    ESTABLISHED
    tcp4       0      0  *.22                   *.*
    LISTEN
    tcp46      0      0  *.22                   *.*
    LISTEN
    ------------>8

    Now I wonder... why the peep doesn't the wtmp log an IP (either IPv4 or
    IPv6) alongside a hostname...
    As you see ... hell.unfix.org resolves nicely to 10.100.13.66 (an IPv4
    address) even when I am connected over IPv6...
    If that isn't one kind of security risk.... Simply change your reverse
    to something nice and wh0ppa...
    No-one will even notice thaty you're coming from a remote network far
    far away...
    With this nice IPv4/IPv6 trick you could even set a forward IPv4 lookup
    to make a local IPv4 IP. So that it looks like you logged in from a
    local system.
    If that isn't enough 'proof' that the whole utmp/wtmp concept is
    wrong.... -> YES, I accuse utmp/wtmp not telnetd as you might notice ssh
    has the same problem :)
    Telnetd simply does what it _can_ do ... log the hostname to utmp/wtmp,
    'w' and friends simply use that info to show it to us...

    So we basically have the following list of problems:
     - wtmp/utmp should have hostname and IPv4 or IPv6 or ...
       one could choose IPv4 mapped IP's.. eg: ::ffff:10.100.13.66 (but this
    could become a prob in the future again...
       IMHO adding an extra field containing the ascii representation of the
    IP/address whatever should do... Which also would be able to log the IPX
    addy or whatever :)
       And the hostname field should contain either nothing (empty) or
    should contain the ascii representation of the address, that's what
    forward&reverse resolve is for...
     - utmp/wtmp-"client"-programs (readers) show the wrong info when
    'showing network numbered' because they don't have the full/correct info
    because they don't have it.

    _if/when_ these get fixed even "dumb admins/users" won't go around
    telling that they got hacked by the FBI or the CIA simply because some
    kiddy with reverse access,
    which currently is quite easy to obtain with all those IPv6
    tunnelbrokers around who don't give anything about (possible) abuse from
    their clients.
    And the same goes for IPv4 ofcourse.... Simply insert a PTR record...
    and tada... you're now coming from a NASA host... how 1337 or whatever
    spelling those people/things/... prefer...

    Now... I surely hope the big guys can figure out that they need a nice
    API for this now do they? :)

    Check:
    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=133323+137951+/usr/local/www
    /db/text/2001/freebsd-arch/20010729.freebsd-arch
    for some more details which where 'denied because it wasn't needed and
    blablalblalalballa'...

    Greets,
     Jeroen