Draft Bill on privacy/security -- requires certified security technologies in all devices

From: Jon O . (jonoat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 15:01:40 PDT

    Bugtraq:

    I know some of the recent issues surrounding certain laws (DMCA) and copyright
    "enhancements" are a departure from certain pretenses of this list. However,
    as you probably already have found they are very relevant to our field and
    may even begin influencing our work.

    There is a new draft Bill created by Senator Hollings (SC) which would require
    "certified security technologies" approved by the federal government in all
    new "interactive digital devices." Of course this is all being done under the
    pretense of protecting companies from piracy, etc.

    The draft Bill is being called The Security Systems Standards and Certification Act
    (SSSCA)

    Here are some quotes of the exact verbage (quoted under fair use):

    SEC. 101. PROHIBITION OF CERTAIN DEVICES

    (a) IN GENERAL.--It is unlawful to manufacture, import, offer to the public,
    provide or otherwise traffic in any interactive digital device that does not
    include and utilize certified security technologies that adhere to the security
    systems standards adopted under section 104.

    SEC. 102. PRESERVATION OF THE INTEGRITY OF SECURITY.

    An interactive computer service shall store and transmit with integrity any
    security measure associated with certified security technologies that is used
    in connection with copyrighted material or other protected content such service
    transmits or stores.

    As a bugtraq reader I'm sure you can understand the implications of this
    type of law. Your PC has become a copyright enforcement tool and these
    provisions above may have implications for Open Source development activities.

    The bill itself can be reviewed here:
    http://cryptome.org/sssca.htm

    More information can be found here:
    http://216.110.42.179/docs/hollings.090701.html