Re: mailto links

From: [Segmen] (dontpanic999at_private)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 00:37:35 PDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "stanislav shalunov" <shalunovat_private>
    To: "[Segmen]" <dontpanic999at_private>
    Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 4:25 AM
    Subject: Re: mailto links

    > Do you see a problem with this behavior?  It's standard.  If you see a
    > problem, please state what it is.
    >
    > --
    > Stanislav Shalunov http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/
    >
    > "Hey!  Who took the cork off my lunch?!"               -- W. C. Fields

    Yes, I do see some problems with this behaviour.

    I could use this to trick innocent people into distributing my malware for
    me, with the added bonus that the email will look like it is somone
    genuinely trying to contact them. It could also make people breach the rules
    of their ISP or organization by apparently trying to send a virus, for
    example. possibly getting them into trouble, or having their account
    suspended.

    also from http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/uri/rfc2368.txt RFC 2368 - " Thus,
    a mail client should never send a message based on a mailto URL
       without first showing the user the full message that will be sent
       (including all headers that were specified by the mailto URL), fully
       decoded, and asking the user for approval to send the message as
       electronic mail. The mail client should also make it clear that the
       user is about to send an electronic mail message, since the user may
       not be aware that this is the result of a mailto URL.
    "

    I'm not sure, this fulfills this, anyone?

    I'm sure theres more!

    --
    http://www.ukchat.com - UKChat
    http://sdf.lonestar.org - SDF Public Access UNIX system