Re: Notice about seconds overroll - S7K bug

From: Robert Bihlmeyer (robbeat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 03:05:13 PDT

    Tonu Samuel <tonuat_private> writes:

    > I would like to make your attention on bug which was introduced tonight
    > and can affect some people who are using (var)char field to store
    > timestamp data.

    Since the winnings are so slim, I hope not many people fell pray to
    this bug. If you're gonna waste 5 bytes on convenience, wasting a 6th
    to buy you peace at least until Unix doomsday does not seem too much.

    If you were expecting speed earnings (no strtoul-ing the input) these
    get pretty much zilched should you later compare the strings.

    > In MySQL we suggested people to use quotation marks around integer
    > values.

    Which won't protect you from '; attacks, of course. So why not just
    make sure that it is a real integer (ahem)? In Perl it would be as
    easy as adding zero.

    > This is the reason why people put quotation marks around integer
    > expressions and this is correct.

    Really?

    > But when both column is character type and expression, they get
    > compared as strings.

    As is to be expected when you're lying to your software. The date types
    are there for a reason.

    --
    Robbe