Re: Is there user Anna at your host ?

From: Tobias J. Kreidl (Tobias.Kreidlat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 10:06:50 PDT

    You can :

    (1) put the user's password entries in the /etc/passwd file (and
    dummy entries in /etc/shadow, of course) on the web server, which is
    a _really_ ugly option, or more elegantly,

    (2) use a RedirectMatch rewrite rule under Apache -- this works
    even if there is no such entry in the password file, e.g.:

    RedirectMatch ^/~(.*)$ http://my-target-webserver.somewhere.org/$1

    where the target webserver could of course be the machine itself you
    are running the webserver on, or it could be any other webserver you want
    to redirect the URL to.  (This should be at least close, based just on my
    recollection of the syntax.)

    Tobias Kreidl
    NAU/ITS Academic Computing