Statically Detecting Likely Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities

From: aleph1at_private
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 15:41:18 PDT

    Statically Detecting Likely Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
    David Larochelle and David Evans.

    Buffer overflow attacks may be today's single most important security
    threat. This paper presents a new approach to mitigating buffer overflow
    vulnerabilities by detecting likely vulnerabilities through an analysis of
    the program source code. Our approach exploits information provided in
    semantic comments and uses lightweight and efficient static analyses. This
    paper describes an implementation of our approach that extends the LCLint
    annotation-assisted static checking tool. Our tool is as fast as a compiler
    and nearly as easy to use. We present experience using our approach to
    detect buffer overflow vulnerabilities in two security-sensitive programs.

    http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/usenix01-abstract.html
    http://lclint.cs.virginia.edu/usenix01.pdf
    http://lclint.cs.virginia.edu/usenix01.html

    --