Re: CERT Advisory CA-2001-25 (smap overflow)

From: Keith Young (kyoung@v-one.com)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 10:00:52 PDT

    >>> CERT Advisory CA-2001-25 Buffer Overflow in Gauntlet Firewall allows
    >>> intruders to execute arbitrary code
    >>>
    >> [ ... ]
    >>
    >>> Network Associates, Inc.
    >>>
    >>>  PGP Security has published a security advisory describing this
    >>>  vulnerability as well as patches. This is available from
    >>>
    >>>         http://www.pgp.com/support/product-advisories/csmap.asp
    >>>         http://www.pgp.com/naicommon/download/upgrade/upgrades-patch.asp
    >>>

    >> So, does anyone know whether this thoroughly useless advisory
    >> affects those who are running smap/smapd from the TIS FWTK days?
    >> Or is the overflow a newly introduced feature?
    >>

    > I'm testing this now. Results will be posted to the FWTK-users mailing
    > list and (if a vulnerability exists) to the "http://www.fwtk.org/" web
    > site.

    Due to a fwtk-users listserver outage, I could not post my results.
    Therefore, I am posting them here.

    After several days of testing, I can say that the unmodified FWTK 2.1
    smap process is *NOT* vulnerable to the same overflow as Gauntlet. I
    will be testing 2.1 smap+Joe Yao's patch next.

    Also, for those of you who asked me, the NAI notice is correct; Gauntlet
    4.2 does not seem to be vulnerable to the buffer overflow.

    --
    --Keith Young
    -kyoung@v-one.com