RE: New vulnerability in IIS4.0/5.0

From: Microsoft Security Response Center (secureat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 19:12:16 PDT

    Hi All -

    We've investigated this report, but it appears to be a false alarm.
    We have been unable to reproduce any of the claims on IIS 4.0 or 5.0
    with the latest cumulative patch applied
    (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-044.asp), or
    on the latest beta version of IIS 5.1.  The results from other
    security organizations are the same -- none report any ability to
    reproduce the claims in the report.

    This is a good example of the wrong way to handle a security
    vulnerability report.  We didn't receive this report until mid-day
    today, well after it had been published on BugTraq and we'd already
    begun an investigation.  There is simply no rationale for sending a
    vulnerability report to the world first, and to the vendor -- the
    only party that could build a patch -- last.

    If this had been a bona fide vulnerability, the irresponsible way it
    was reported would have put a weapon into malicious users' hands,
    thereby putting users needlessly at risk.  Even though the report
    turned out to be false, there still was a cost to the user community.
     Because the authors chose to create an emergency, Microsoft and
    other organizations investigating the Nimda worm had to divert
    resources into checking the new report.  This cost all of us valuable
    time, and hindered our efforts to help users defend their systems
    against Nimda.

    We established the Microsoft Security Response Center to make it easy
    for people to report potential security vulnerabilities to us.  We
    monitor the secureat_private email address seven days a week, 365
    days a year, and we investigate every report we receive.  Sending a
    report to the vendor first makes sense, both from the perspective of
    protecting users and ensuring that the researcher's name is only
    associated with valid, reproducible reports.

    Regards,

    Scott Culp
    Microsoft Security Response Center
    Microsoft Corporation