Regarding: 3Com OfficeConnect 812/840 Router DoS exploit code

From: Tom_Kinahanat_private
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 11:14:00 PDT

    Hello,

     As the Product Manager of the 3Com Office Connect Remote 812 and 840, I have
    the following response:

     It appears that both individuals posting on these products have not taken the
    opportunity to download the software patch for the OCR812 router software
    version 1.1.9. In responding to the specific points below, however, it is
    certainly possible to employ port filtering on the WAN interface for ports 23
    and 53 if the customer desires, following the same methodology as the port 80
    filter available on the 3Com web site
    (http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/remote/ocradsl/http_filtering.pdf).

     More to the point however, our customers have requested that these routers be
    managed remotely from the WAN by default. In most cases, they also employ
    another method supported on these products called access lists. Access lists
    will only allow ip addresses in the range configured to access the management
    interfaces. For details on Access Lists see the Command Line Interface manual
    available at:

    http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/remote/ocradsl/20/812_cli20.pdf

     Page 6-31 details how access lists are configured.

     I suggest that if access lists are used and used properly, the DoS issues below
     do not exist.

    The OCR840 never had a software version as indicated below. What version was
    this verified against?

    -Tom Kinahan
    Product Manager
    OCR812/OCR840/OCR612