Re: HACMP and port scans

From: Andrew Leonard (andyat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 11:08:23 PDT

    Quoting "Eoin D. Fleming" <rtfmat_private>:

    > It appears that IBM's HACMP 4.4 clustering software can be induced to
    > fail simply by port scanning clustered machines, has anyone come accross
    > this vulnerability and is there a workaround?

    I have not seen this particular vulnerability, having never used HACMP.
    However, I did see a very similar thing on Compaq's TruCluster product two jobs
    ago: If port-scanned from a machine without a PTR record in DNS, the cluster
    would develop split-brain syndrome.  At management's request, this was kept
    quiet (as in, not posted here), and we worked with Compaq to develop a patch.

    This was back in 1999, and applied to TruCluster 1.5 (I think...).  I never saw
    an advisory about this from Compaq, so as far as I know this was quietly rolled
    into TruCluster updates.

    cheers:
    andy
    --