IDS: RE: On IDS Evasion, Vulnerabilities, and Vendor Hype

From: Randy Taylor (gnuat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 10:52:16 PDT

    Archive: http://msgs.securepoint.com/ids
    FAQ IDS: http://www.sans.org/newlook/resources/IDFAQ/ID_FAQ.htm
    FAQ NIDS: http://www.ticm.com/kb/faq/idsfaq.html
    IDS: http://www-rnks.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/~sobirey/ids.html
    HELP: Having problems... email questions to ids-ownerat_private
    NOTE: Remove this section from reply msgs otherwise the msg will bounce.
    SPAM: DO NOT send unsolicted mail to this list.
    UNSUBSCRIBE: email "unsubscribe ids" to majordomoat_private

    Marc Maiffret wrote:
    Keith McCammon wrote:
    Eric Hacker wrote:

    (a lot of good stuff) 8)

    What I take from this discussion is reinforcement
    of something I think about a lot:

    Where is "The Line"?

    Which raises the question, "What is The Line?"
    ..and that is like pornography - you can't define it,
    but you damn sure know it when you see it.

    All of us, or those who have been in this business
    for a while, have, at one time or another, danced
    right up to the edge of it. C'mon, fess up - you know
    what I mean. It's at this point we can freeze the image
    because everything hangs on what happens next.

    The content of a person's/company's/etc character
    gets a real big test, right now.

    Some give out a big "Whoa!", back away a bit to look
    things over.
    Some surf the edge, taking pictures of the other side.
    Some see how far over they can go without getting punished.
    Some don't even see it.

    There are security companies out there that routinely dance
    on the other side of The Line, thinking the fake camera around
    their neck will fool people. Others dance on the edge - it's
    seductive alright, but sometimes they learn the cost of
    slipping and how sharp the edge can be...and sometimes
    they don't.

    I'd like to think people would do security for the good reasons
    rather than the bad, and handle things responsibly...but in the
    competition for market share, press (ego share), and survival, a
    lot of them don't. Those are the ones I stay well away from.

    On vulnerabilities and whatnot:

    Full-disclosure information on vulnerabilities is in itself a good
    thing, even if it's only a preliminary "heads-up". The trick is
    in how it is presented. This takes us back to where "the
    line" is - rinse, repeat.

    As for encoding attacks and such, I always go back to
    the old maxim "Defense always lags Offense". It's the law. ;)
    But new offense generates new defense, which generates new
    offense....see "recursive". The trick is closing the gap between
    Offense and Defense as tightly as possible...without
    going over the line.

    At the moment, some encoding attacks can be effectively (I didn't say
    completely) modeled now (RPC and DNS for instance), others are
    problematic, and there are probably more that haven't been
    discovered. "...never completely emulate..." is too strong for me. Modeling
    boils down to "How many cycles you wanna throw at it?" vs performance issues
    vs risk/reward. If analysis is done correctly, you don't necessarily
    have to get complete modeling to get a positive detection.

    Best regards,

    Randy
    - -----
    "Sesame Street called. The letter E would like to withdraw its
    sponsorship of Internet cliches, and assert full rights to the use
    of its image and trademark sound."
          -- Anatoly Delm 13 Sep 2000 ---