Bug found at W3Mail Webmail

From: Emanuel Almeida (corbat_private)
Date: Sat Oct 06 2001 - 21:32:31 PDT

    Name: W3Mail 1.0.2 Personal and Commercial Version

    Author: Spencer Miles

    Problem: Script doesnt check for special metacharacters like
    &;`'\"|*?~<>^()[]{}$\n\r. Any  webmail user can execute *nix
    commands on webserver.

    Exploit:
    On any field at "Compose Message", put something like:
    (Recipient example)
    fooat_private"; `/bin/touch /tmp/foobar`; $foo = "bar

    Fix:
    Filter this metacharacters on sendmessage.cgi and others..

    []s

     --corb

    --
    Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot
    change, the courage to change the things I can, and the