RE: AIM Exploits

From: Nate Pinchot (npinchotat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 07:12:48 PDT

    >If you're on windows you can use the software i
    >created to exploit these bugs (AIM Filter), it can be
    >found at http://www.ssnbc.com/wiz/ in software>aim

    >aim filter is a local proxy that acts as both a server
    >and client, meaning you can implement the
    >crashes/features no matter what aim client you're on
    >(and it's easy to use too, just type commands like
    >aim.file.crash)

    After examining the source code a little bit (for version 111, source
    for the current version 113 is not available) I found that this program
    contains some things which can be "done" to the end user running this
    program. From what I have examined thus far I can only see 2 things
    which can be "done" to the end user of this program. The first is, if
    you send a message containing the text "aim.query.user" the program will
    send a message back to the user from which the message originated
    containing the message:
    "HELLO FRIEND, MY IP IS <end user's ip>, AND I AM A PEON ON BUILD 111."
    The second is, if you send a message containing the text "aim.admin.dc"
    the program will start 500 instances of windows calculator (calc.exe)
    and then bring up a message box containing the text:
    "DON'T MESS"

    There is also 1 more block of code which I can't figure out what it does
    since I know nothing about the aol/oscar protocol, maybe someone else
    who does can take a look? It looks like this may perhaps be sending a
    username and password to the screen name sobbieraunders? I don't know.
    It should be noted that by commenting out the sendpacket line which
    sends information to the server breaks the login functionality.
    Suprisingly however, changing either the of the replace parameter texts
    does not break the login functionality.

    questionable code:
    Sub ProcessData(Index As Integer, TheStuff As String)
    Select Case Index
        Case 0 'login (client)
            TheStuff = Replace(TheStuff, Chr(14) & "sobbieraunders", Chr(15)
    & "sobbie raunders")
            SendPacket 1, TheStuff, 1 'send to server

    I see no real immediate harm from either of these "back doors" in this
    program, but as I stated above, source code for the current version has
    not been made available and the third thing just looks like it does
    something bad. Things like this are very common to exploit programs in
    the aol community and programs like this should not be trusted. Only
    Robbie knows what kind of bad things can be done in version 113.

    Nate Pinchot
    Corporate Computer Services
    npinchotat_private <mailto:npinchotat_private>

    "we're only gonna die because of our own arrogance, that's why we might
    as well take our time"
    -bradley nowell