INCIDENT: WebCertificate.com hacked

From: Simon Gales (simongalesat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 05:57:40 PDT

    I received the following email this morning (appropriately cleansed):

    >> Dear Simon Gales
    >>
    >> I hate to inform you that your account
    >> has been hacked on webcertificate.com and
    >> ecount.com. These sites have very weak
    >> security protection system and the database
    >> with credit cards and other personal information
    >> is not protected at all. Your personal details:
    >>
    >> 123 Spartacus lane
    >> Cary IL 23456 US
    >>
    >> Your credit card information:
    >>
    >> 1111111111111111
    >> expiration time:  10/11/12 1:23:45 PM
    >>
    >> We offered them our help many times. But top
    >> management of webcertificate.com and ecount.com
    >> don't care about their customers - you. They
    >> care only about their money.
    >>
    >> zilterio
    >> www.zilterio.com

    I've notified privacyat_private and VISA, and am awaiting their
    response.

    Since they've apparently already been informed (albeit in a questionable
    manner) and customer information already disclosed, I felt it appropriate to
    forward this on to BugTraq.

    Related: http://www.ecommercetimes.com/perl/story/13147.html

    Administrivia - the FAQ link sent in the WELCOME email after subscribing to
    BugTraq is incorrect (http://www.securityfocus.com/forums/bugtraq/faq.html)
    and yields a 404 error.  Also, the address for submitting email to the
    BugTraq mailing list could be made a little clearer in that Welcome email.

    -Simon