Attension acrobat PDF makers, Acrobat PDF protection is not that Secure

From: Adonis.No.Spam (adonis1at_private)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 08:12:33 PDT

    +--------------------------------------------.
    Acrobat PDF protection is not that Secure     .
    +----------------------------------------------`--------------------+
    Affected         : Protected PDF documents                          .
    Type             : Functionaltiy                                    .
    Date             : 16-10-2001                                       .
    Author:          : NtWaK0                                           .

    --------------------.
    Problem Introduction .
    ----------------------`---------------------------------------------.
    First I do not know if this was reported, but I feel it is important enough
    to mention this issue to PDF users.

    Most companies use PDF Acrobat to produce a nice looking PDF files
    and many companies use the security feature BUILT-IN Acrobat to  protect
    their documents.

    What I found is very easy to unprotect such PDF files.  Take this scenario
    you will understand what do I mean.

    HP released a nice document called:
    "Building a Windows NT bastion host in practice", this document is a PDF
    protected document that mean you can only print the document, you cannot do
    copy and past or any modification.

    The document is protected using STANDARD method. Here is how you can test
    this.

    Take the "hpntbast13.pdf" or take any other protected document or just
    create a PDF document and protected by following these steps:

    1- Open the PDF file
    2- From Acrobat Exchange menu choose File/Save-AS
    3- A dialog Box will open in Security Drop Down field choose STANDARD
       it is the only choice (well at least in the acrobat I use)
    4- Once you clicked STANDARD you will see another Dialog windows
       title(Security) fill in :
       1- Put a password in "Change Security Options" field
       2- Under "Do Not Allow" Check Changing the document
          check Selecting Text and Graphics , and Finaly Check
          Adding or changing Annotations and Form Fields.
       3- Click OK to close the security Dialo Box.
    5- Now your document is protected and you will see that you cannot
       do any copy or text selection you can only print.

    To unprotect the PDF you just protect or the one you get
    1- Open the PDF
    2- From From Acrobat Exchange menu choose File/Save-AS
    3- A dialog Box will open in Security Drop Down field NONE
    4- A dialog Box will POPUP in modal form with this message
       Are you sure you want to change the security Method?
    5- Click OK then Click Save.
    6- Now you have an unprotected document.

    Actually there is some way to protect it even from that for more information
    you can check some PDF made by ISS.net.

    Peace
    --------------------------------------------------------------------.

    The only secure computer is one that's unplugged, locked in a safe,
    and buried 20 feet under the ground in a secret location... and i'm
    not even too sure about that one"--Dennis Huges, FBI.
    Live Well Do Good                                           |
    Je Pense, Donc Je Suis                                    \(|)/
    I know I ain't perfect, but i'm 99 point 9 percent :)    --(")--
    RFCs are meant to be read and followed…:)                  /`\  NtWaK0
    -=- Use a computer in a ways that ensure respect for your fellow     -=-
    L??ä:#?"U??a? << My PGP Signature