Problem with Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-052

From: Stephen C Burns (sbat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 07:28:15 PDT

    Hey all,

    To whomever just got this bulletin: be careful when installing the patch
    for the "Invalid RDP Data can Cause Terminal Service Failure"
    vulnerability released on the 18th.  Make sure you are able to revert to
    your old rdpwsx.dll if you can only access your machine(s) remotely.
    Installing this patch gave me the following upon Terminal Services
    startup in my System event log:

    Error
    Event ID: 1014
    Source: TermService
    Cannot load illegal module: C:\Winnt\System32\rdpwsx.DLL.

    With no further explanation.  I had to telnet in through my backdoor
    (spefically created for these types of "patches"), kill the running
    Terminal Services Service with pstools, as Terminal Services cannot be
    controlled through a NET command, and copy my old .DLL over this new one
    and restart term services, and then it worked again, all unpatched and
    back to normal.

    Same problem goes for another development box here, so it doesn't look
    machine-specific.  Seems like this will just go around and break
    terminal services on everyone's boxes.  Same operating system, same
    service packs/hotfixes, same problem, same log entry, same fix.