Re: gm4 format strings on OSX

From: Peter Pentchev (roamat_private)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 19:21:15 PDT

    On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 04:32:23AM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
    > On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 12:22:31PM -0700, dotslashat_private wrote:
    [snip]
    > > [OSXBOX:~] elguapo% gm4 %s
    > > gm4: Memory bounds violation detected (SIGSEGV).  Either a stack overflow
    > > occurred, or there is a bug in gm4.  Check for possible infinite
    > > recursion.
    > > Segmentation fault
    >
    > [CC'd to bug-gnu-utils, hopefully this is the right address; if it is
    >  not (GNU seems to have moved away from prep.ai), then please somebody
    >  notify the current m4 maintainers]
    >
    > Confirmed with GNU m4 1.4 on FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE as of Oct 21.
    >
    > The attached patch fixes the reported segfault and one other unsafe
    > use of the m4 internal function error().  I have not looked at other
    > functions within m4 that might use printf(3) and friends unsafely,
    > so there might be other bugs lurking about.

    For the record, I just committed that patch to the FreeBSD port
    of GNU m4.  Therefore, the devel/m4 FreeBSD port at version m4-1.4_1
    as of Mon Oct 22 02:03:10 2001 UTC is not vulnerable at least to
    this particular format string attack.

    And just as a side note, it seems I was wrong about GNU having moved
    away from prep.ai.mit.edu.  ftp.gnu.org/gnuftp.gnu.org are just
    aliases.  Should have known better than to speak before checking :)

    G'luck,
    Peter

    --
    What would this sentence be like if pi were 3?