Re: Flaws in recent Linux kernels

From: Scott Dier (diemanat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 12:49:54 PDT

    * Solar Designer <solarat_private> [011023 09:29]:
    > least one PAM'ified version of su(1) is suitable for the attack: the
    > one that is included in the shadow suite and used on Debian.  I also

    On debian unstable/testing, the 'shadow-login' package does not exist,
    and only the 'login' package exists.  AFAIK, this only has the PAM-based
    su in it.

    On Progeny's newton release, this is also true.

    On debian potato, it appears that the su there is also from pam.

    Could you please cite the version of Debian next time?  Your the second
    person this month I've had to remind of this.

    Hence, I believe the statment is refrencing a older version of stable,
    users of 'stale' stable distributions should be advised that security
    updates aren't given for anything but the 'current' stable version, and
    that they should upgrade to potato.

    --
    Scott Dier <diemanat_private> <sdierat_private>
    http://www.ringworld.org/  #linuxosat_private

    Just say NO to Product Activation!