Re: Minor IE vulnerability: about: URLs

From: Clover Andrew (acloverat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 06:15:55 PDT

    Julian Hall <julesat_private> wrote:

    > Another approach would be to write your own version of the
    > about: protocol module, and point the server to your
    > implementation DLL.

    Aye, that would work. But after wandering aimlessly in the registry I've
    stumbled upon a quicker workaround.

    Go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\ZoneMap\ProtocolDefaults and add a DWORD, name 'about', value
    '4'. This puts about: URLs in the Restricted Sites Zone. Hurrah!

    --
    Andrew Clover
    Technical Consultant