MacOS 9.2, Internet Explorer, Local Vulnerability

From: Neeko Oni (neekoat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 09:48:05 PST

    Vulnerability:
    	Access controls can be evaded on MacOS9.2 using Internet Explorer,
    	allowing users to execute programs they otherwise would not be
    	able to run.

    Details:
    	While in the college media lab I attempted to run MacSSH to get
    	onto my home desktop, I received an error message telling me I
    	did not have access to run said program.  By launching Internet
    	Explorer 5 Macintosh Edition, and creating a 'ssh' helper application
    	(with MacSSH as the helper application), I was able to execute MacSSH
    	without problem. I was logged in under a general student account
    	(not Admin).  This has been tested with applications other than MacSSH.

    Tested System:  MacOS9.2.1 on an iMac with Internet Explorer.

    	If this is a known vulnerability, I apologize for the wasted bandwidth.
    	It's dead simple, but could be used maliciously, quite obviously.

    .Neeko Oni. [10.31.01]  Happy Halloween.
     (neekooniat_private)