Vulnerability in Viralator proxy extension

From: Peter Conrad (conradat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 00:34:03 PST

    Hi!

    Date: October 2001

    Product: Viralator (http://viralator.loddington.com/)

    Viralator is a perl-script to be used with the squid proxy, an apache
    webserver and some virus scanner software. Its purpose is to allow
    scanning of files downloaded through the proxy for viruses.
    The product has been listed among the "Top 6 Tools" in SecurityFocus
    Newsletters #87 and #98.

    Affected versions:

    The problem has been found in all versions currently available for
    download on the viralator website: 0.7, 0.8 and 0.9pre1

    Impact:

    Remote execution of arbitrary code as the user under whose ID the
    viralator CGI script is running

    Problem:

    The URL of the file being downloaded is passed as a parameter to the
    viralator CGI script. This URL is used in an insecure way to download the
    file using the "wget" utility. After that, the filename part of the URL
    is used in an insecure way to scan the file for a virus.

    Solution:

    An official patch does not exist at the time of writing. It is advisable
    to disable access to the script.

    History:

     - on June 12 2001 I mailed the author about the problem. I received
       a (very) prompt reply, stating that he was working on a new version.
     - on October 18 I remembered the case and took a look at the viralator
       website. Neither a fixed version nor a warning about the security
       problem could be found. So I emailed the author again, asking if he
       is still working on the project. I haven't received a reply yet.

    Credits:

    The problem was reported independently by Pekka Ahmavuo in the viralator
    developers forum on August 10 (available at the viralator website).

    Bye,
    	Peter
    --
    Peter Conrad                        Tel: +49 6102 / 80 99 072
    [ t]ivano Software GmbH             Fax: +49 6102 / 80 99 071