Re: MacOS 9.x, Internet Explorer, Local Vulnerability

From: CDE Francis (fuyat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 12:41:29 PST

    At 9:48 AM -0800 2001/10/31, Neeko Oni wrote:
    >	While in the college media lab I attempted to run MacSSH to get
    >	onto my home desktop, I received an error message telling me I
    >	did not have access to run said program.  By launching Internet
    >	Explorer 5 Macintosh Edition, and creating a 'ssh' helper application

    I'm pretty sure this is due to Internet Config, the control panel that
      manages file helpers (among other things). Any application that calls
      Internet Config to handle URLs should exhibit the exact same behavior.

    Remember that the MacOS 9.x "Multiple User" extension is NOT intended
      to be secure. Anyone with physical access to the Mac can use any file
      or application with a few minutes of work (at most). This is BY DESIGN.

    -F.