Re: Microsoft IE cookies readable via about: URLS

From: Jeffrey W. Dronenburg (dronenjwat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 16:08:33 PST

    Nick FitzGerald <nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    <snip>
    > A better workaround (assuming that you feel cookies are "relatively
    > useful" and would rather not turn them off) is to put about: URLs
    > into the Restricted Sites zone, as detailed in Andrew Clover's
    > followup to his own post:

    >    http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/222552

    > In short, create a DWORD value named "about" under:

    >   HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\ZoneMap\ProtocolDefaults

    > and set it to 4.

    > I just tested this against your test page and with the above value
    > set, the test tells me "No cookies found for site...".
    > Interestingly, this registry change seems to have almost immediate
    > effect -- i.e. it did not require a restart or logout/login or even
    > an IE exit/restart (I did this on Win2K) but occasionally, when
    > running the test page over and over alternating back and forward
    > between having the above value set and not present (the default), the
    > page would work as if the registry value had not yet been changed.

    <snip>

    I validated your test results with Windows 98 SE (4.10.2222A) in a
    multi-user environment and Internet Explorer 5.5 (5.50.4807.2300IC with SP2;
    Q306121 installed), both fully patched with latest updates.  I also
    validated your test results with Windows Me (4.90.3000) and Internet
    Explorer 5.5 (same version as above) and then again after upgrading to IE
    6.0 (6.0.2600.0000).

    In all cases, the registry change did not require a system reboot to take
    effect.

    However, when I attempted to validate your test result with IE 5.5 by
    toggling the registry settings between "0" and "4", I noticed that
    increasing the security setting takes effect immediately, while reducing it
    requires a new instantiation of IE and will not take effect in the current
    window.  Changing the registry value from "0" to "4" would change the output
    results on the test Web page from displaying cookies to reporting "No
    cookies found for site...".   Resetting the value from "4" to "0" had no
    effect the current instantiation of IE, but the new registry value would
    take effect upon opening a new IE window, but still not in the previous IE
    window.  (Isn't multi-tasking fun?  <smirk>).

    This wasn't the case with IE 6.0, however.  Toggling the registry settings
    between "0" and "4" took immediate effect in the current window when both
    increasing and decreasing the setting.

    Therefore, increasing the cookie security setting will take effect
    immediately in both IE 5.5 and 6.0 in all open IE windows.  Decreasing the
    setting will only take effect in a new window in IE 5.5 regardless of
    whether or not the previous windows (including the REGEDIT window) are still
    open or not.  Decreasing the setting in IE 6.0 will have immediate effect
    and make the browser vulnerable to the exploit.

    Cool stuff!  Thanks, Nick, for reminding us of Andrew's post.

    Cheers,
    Jeff

    Jeffrey W. Dronenburg, Sr.
    MIS Major, Univ. of Maryland, Univ. College
    Alpha Sigma Lambda
    Phi Kappa Phi

    "A day without learning is like apple pie without ice cream.  They're both
    much sweeter the other way around." -Me! :-)