Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-055

From: Clover Andrew (acloverat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 07:14:53 PST

    Microsoft Product Security <secnotifat_private> wrote:

    > Mitigating Factors: [...]

    > Users who have set Outlook Express to use the "Restricted
    > Sites" Zone are not affected by the HTML mail exploit of this
    > vulnerability

    Sorry, but this is not true.

    Whilst pages in the Restricted Sites zone are barred from using active
    scripting, there are other ways of redirecting the user to a malicious
    about: URL. Two I can think of straight away that require no user
    intervention are:

      <iframe src="about:...">

    both work on Outlook 2000 with mail content in the Restricted Sites
    zone. Since I stated exactly this whilst discussing the previous
    vulnerability with secure@microsoft, I'm disappointed to see this
    argument wheeled out again.

    --
    Andrew Clover