RE: IE cookies assigned to RAM disk survive reboot

From: Moorhouse, Walt P (WaltPMoorhouseat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 08:08:33 PST

    Comments are under original...
    BTW, good idea on the RAMDisk for cookies, but if you can't get it to work,
    there are programs that will kill your cookies, cache and history files.

    > You'll find in the registry a key called Paths:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    > Settings\Cache\Paths
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    > Settings\Cache\Special Paths\Cookies
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pr
    > ofileReconcili
    > ation\Cookies

    I think you may have missed a couple.  I found five total on both an NT
    machine and a Win98.  The two you did not list were:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
    Folders  and
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders

    > I deleted all cookies from C:\Windows\Cookies and
    > G:\Temporary Internet
    > Files\Cookies. I then booted into DOS and ran: del
    > C:\Windows\Cookies\Index.dat.

    After you have changed all the values to point to your new location, try to
    delete the directory from explorer.  If you get a "Deleting this folder may
    affect some registered programs." message, there may be another reg key
    pointing to it.  Do a search for cookies in regedit.

    One other question:
    > And my swap file setup:
    > PagingDrive=G:
    > MinPagingFileSize=65536
    > MaxPagingFileSize=65536

    Why are you using a RAMDrive for your pagefile?  Is this a security measure?
    I saw the Thread on NT4 pagefile compromises, but is the Win98 pagefile that
    sought-after?  It just seems to me that there are easier ways to compromise
    a 98 machine.

    Walt Moorhouse
    Network Administrator
    Eaton Corp.