Legato Networker vulnerability

From: 10functionat_private
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 07:52:23 PST

    There's a weakness in the authentification scheme of Legato Networker Software prior to version 6.1.
    When a client contacts the server, it announces (in clear text) via RPC his hostname or ip adress , his username and the user's groups.
    Then the server tries to resolve the ip adress of the machine which have initiated the dialog, if it fails , it sends an "unknow host" answer but doesn't stop the authentification process.
    As a result, every machine which ip coundn't be resolved by the server can fake any host or user.
    And, by this way gain then administrator privilege onto the Networker admin interface.
                    -------------------------------
    Proof concept:
    Here, we suppose that "server" is the Networker's server which IP is 1.2.3.4 .
    We are now  using a machine which could communicate freely with "server" called "intruder" which IP is A.B.C.D
    Prerequisite : "server" must be unable to perform a reverse lookup for the hostname "intruder" into an ip adress ( This machine is unknown in /etc/hosts and the associated DNS zone).

    So as root on "intruder", we will do the followings actions :
    · Change the hostname of the machine in order to fake server's one:
    #hostname server
    · Fake also the resolution mecanism onto the intruder machine
    Add "A.B.C.D server" into /etc/hosts
    · Contact the server by
    nwadmin -s 1.2.3.4
    · Now the server thinks your are root@server so he will be probably let you the admin privileges.

    (you can eventually fake another user by creating this user on "intruder" and doing a su)
    (Of course you can also fake another hostname...)

    Legato has been warned of this.

      10function

    Une gamme d'outils gratuits et performants à votre service.

    Web/Wap : www.netcourrier.com
    Téléphone/Fax : 08 92 69 00 21 (0,34 E TTC/min - 2,21 F TTC/min)
    Minitel: 3615 NETCOURRIER (0,15 E TTC/min - 1,00 F TTC/min)