Re: NSFOCUS SA2001-07 : ActivePerl PerlIS.dll Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

From: securityfocus.com.drewat_private
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 20:22:07 PST

    Mailer: SecurityFocus

    >From: Jim <raxorat_private>
    >Has anyone been able to duplicate this bug ?

    A *default* install of IIS5 (tested in w2k pro) with
    ActivePerl 5.6.1.629 is *not* vulnerable to this bug.  In
    order to become vulnerable, you must disable
    the "Check that file exists" option for PerlIS.dll.  (In
    order to do this, open up the IIS MMC, right click on a
    (virtual) directory in your web server,
    choose "Properties", click on the "Configuration..."
    button, highlight the ".plx" item, click "Edit", and then
    uncheck "Check that file exists".)

    >Am I wrong or does the ISAPI version of ActivePerl
    >execute .plx files and not .pl as mentioned in the
    >advisory ?

    On my test machine (win2k pro), by default perl.exe
    handles .pl and perlIS.dll handles .plx

    --
    ^Drew

    http://guh.nu

    --Begin PGP Fingerprint--
    3C6C F712 0A52 BD33 C518  5798 9014 CA99
    2DA0 5E78
    --End PGP Fingerprint--