UNICOS LOCAL HOLE ALL VERSIONS

From: Mickey Mouse (mmsquadronat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 14:06:21 PST

    *********** CRAY UNICOS NQSD FORMAT BUG LOCAL ROOT COMPROMISE ALL VERSIONS
    ***********

    MICKEY MOUSE HACKING SQUADRON ADVISORY #:   1

    DISCLAIMER
    ----------

    We are a collective group of security professionals who want to remain
    nameless due to the various legal and corporate red tape which now surrounds
    the issue of disclosure in today's IT security environments. However, due to
    the fact that we have unsuccessfully been able to convince vendors to take
    appropriate actions in fixing these gaping security holes, we have decided
    to take the option of becoming nameless and releasing this advisory in such
    a way. Due to the nature of many of the severe vulnerabilities we have
    discovered, we will enclose only minimal details about the holes, and no
    working exploit code.

    BEGIN
    -----

    NATURE
    ------
    Local root compromise of any UNICOS computer running the NQS daemon

    VULNERABLE PLATFORMS/SOFTWARE
    -----------------------------

    All versions of cray's UNIX Cray Operating System running NQSD
    Possibly NQSD running in IBM and Solaris environments as well.

    SUCCESSFULLY TESTED ON
    ----------------------
    Cray T3E running UNICOS/mk revision 2.0.5.54

    HISTORY
    -------
    The NQS, or Network Queueing System, is a popular batch software processor
    which is used to perform job control and leveraging in supercomputing
    environments which require heavy symmetric multi processing. The controlling
    daemon, which looks like it appears below

       37152 ?     0:00 nqsdaemon
       57415 ?     0:00 nqsdaemon

    runs as root in order to properly schedule and timeslice batched process.
    The Mickey Mouse Hacking Squadron has discovered a format bug vulnerbility
    by which any unprivileged user on a system running NQS can gain root access.
    This involves creating a batch with a name that contains special formatting
    characters, which is processed by an unsafe function taking a variable
    argument list. In order to exploit this vulnerability, the user must be able
    to submit the job with qsub in such a way that it triggers this
    vulnerability.

    DESCRIPTION
          The qsub command submits a file that contains a shell script as
    a batch request to the Network Queuing System (NQS).  For an
          introduction to the use of NQS, see the Network Queuing System
         (NQS)User's Guide, publication SG-2105.

    This vulnerability has been exploited successfully by the MMHS in a RISC
    environment, using ALPHA processors, in a way similar to bugs exploited
    successfully on Digital UNIX by SeungHyun Seo, also posted to the Bugtraq
    mailing list. The exploitation on vectorized processors, such as the Y-MP
    series, has proved to be much more difficult, especially due to large 64 bit
    addressing and a large number of NULL bytes in the process address space.
    This should also prove easy to exploit on PowerPC and SPARC environments.

    VENDOR STATUS
    NO RESPONSE FROM CRAY!