NAI Webshield SMTP for WinNT MIME header vuln that allows BadTrans to pass]

From: Jari Helenius (jari.heleniusat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 05:50:32 PST

    Reported to NAI first time 26.11.2001, again 27.11.2001 and every day
    after that.
    NAI response is at the end of this mail.

    NAI WebShield SMTP for NT 4.5mr1a passes (at least in some
    configurations) attachments
    through without virus check or content filter check based on attachment
    name. One such attachment is BadTrans virus.

    ENVIROMENT
    WinNT4srv, sp6a, secrollup + few other hotfix, WebShield for NT 4.5 or
    4.5mr1a
    this can be reproduced with fresh installation.

    DESCRIPTION
    Main problem is that mail (send by virus) containing BadTrans.b virus
    will pass WebShield. Forwarding same mail outside will result positive
    identification of BadTrans virus. If WebShield has content filter saying
    all messages that has scr (or pif) in attachment name has to be blocked,
    this rule does not apply either.

    It seems that NAI WebShield SMTP for NT can't handle all mime headers
    properly. One example is below. WebShield can't parse this and it does
    not realize that message has attachment. And because it does not realize
    there is attachment it won't check it for viruses or against attachment
    name.