Re: File extensions spoofable in MSIE download dialog

From: staticat_private
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 16:38:37 PST

    Other people have emailed me that the vulnerability I described causes IE6.0 to not give a security warning about executing the .exe like IE5.0 does.  In my testing with IE6.0, just clicking on an calc.exe directly does not even give a security warning either.  I dont know much about IE6.0 yet, so maybe someone else will have an answer that can explain why the default config of IE6.0 does not produce the security warning that older versions did when clicking on an .exe directly and choosing open.  The bigger issue to me is how vulnerable IE5.5 sp2.

    And to keep people from emailing me telling me thier IE5.5 does have have the vulnerability I described using the readme.txt php script...  IE5.5 sp2 is the only version of IE5.5 that will run the executable without first prompting the user with the real .exe filename so far found(have not tested IE5.5 sp1).  It is rather interesting that IE5.5 without any service pack does not have the vulnerability.  It appears sp2(maybe sp1?) broke something that made this vulnerability possible.

    I have to wonder if this is a seperate vulnerability with IE5.5 sp2 than what the initial poster alerted us to.  Until he realeases more info I guess we will never know.

    StatiC