mIRC bug?

From: Shustrik (rootat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 09:06:22 PST

    Hello, BugTraq readers!

    I have recently started using mIRC's DDE feature, which allows DDE messaging
    between its instances and other software. At first I was quite pleased with
    this feature until I thought about the security implications of it under a
    multi-user system (such as Windows 2000 Professional that I am using). This
    is what I did:

    1) Launched one copy of mIRC with an enabled DDE Server under an
    Administrative account.
    2) Launched another one under a Guest account using the RunAs service.
    3) Wrote /dde mIRC command "" /run c:\program files\internet
    explorer\iexplore.exe in the second (Guest) client.
    4) Internet Explrer was launched under the administrative account.

    This enables different users sharing one machine to overtake each other's
    accounts if mIRC is running with a DDE Server (this option is enabled by
    default). I would be grateful if someone tested this with Windows 2000
    Terminal Server or Windows XP with Switch User function enabled.

    Shustrik.
    mailto:rootat_private