Re: iXsecurity.tool.smbproxy.1.0.0

From: Pavel Kankovsky (peakat_private)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 09:33:19 PST

    On Tue, 6 Nov 2001 patrik.karlssonat_private wrote:

    > Windows NT/2000 login:
    > 1. A=>B: Requests a logon to the server.
    > 2. B=>A: N
    > 3. A=>B: E(N,H(P))
    > The server can check S=D(N,E(N,H(P))) or E(N,S)=E(N,H(P)).
    >
    > If Eve eavesdrops the login she can get S by D(N,E(N,H(P))).

    If this was true, it would be very bad news (or very good news for
    certain people). Fortunately (unfortunately), according to my
    understanding of the protocol, A's response in step 3 is N encrypted
    by DES using H(P) as a *key*, and S = H(P) cannot be computed
    given the result of encryption (E(N,H(P))...or E(H(P),N) using a
    more common order of arguments) and the nonce (N) easily.

    --Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
    "Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."