RE: Stack overflow in all Internet Explorer Versions!!

From: Microsoft Security Response Center (secureat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 08:00:34 PST

    Hi All -

    We've received a number of questions about this report and whether we
    were able to reproduce its claims.  We have tested so far on IE 5.5
    Service Pack 2 and IE 6, but have not seen the reported behavior on
    either platform.

    Moreover, it's important to be clear about what's being reported.  A
    stack overflow is not the same thing as a buffer overrun.  A stack
    overflow simply means that the memory allocated to the stack is
    exhausted.  Stack overflows do not permit code to be run on the target
    machine; instead, they typically result in the application crashing or
    hanging.  In the case of IE, the worst this could be used to do would be
    to cause IE to crash if a user visited a hostile web site.  The user
    could resume normal operation by restarting IE and not returning to the
    attacker's site.

    Just the same, we are continuing to investigate the report.  Even though
    the scope of a stack overflow would be subject to the limitations
    discussed above, if there is a stack overflow in IE we would correct it
    as a code quality issue.

    Regards,
    Christopher Budd
    Security Program Manager