Re: *ALERT* BID 3581: Wu-Ftpd File Globbing Heap Corruption Vulnerability

From: Patrick Cantwell (seamusat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 07:35:11 PST

    Yes, this must be library related. I have 2 machines here both running the
    same version of the OpenBSD ftpd ported to linux. One's a slackware 7.1
    box, one's a prerelease version of slackware 8 (installed the machine
    before 8.0 made -release)..

    on the older machine:

    (Wed 10:25am) seamus@bofh ttyp0:~> ftp XXX
    Connected to XXX.XXX.XXX.
    220 XXX.XXX.XXX FTP server (Version 6.5/OpenBSD, linux port 0.3.2)
    ready.
    Name (XXX:seamus): seamus
    331 Password required for seamus.
    Password:
    230- Linux 2.2.18.
    230 User seamus logged in.
    Remote system type is UNIX.
    Using binary mode to transfer files.
    ftp> ls -al\ ~{
    200 PORT command successful.
    421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.
    ftp> quit
    (Wed 10:25am) seamus@bofh ttyp0:~>

    on the newer machine:

    (Wed 10:25am) seamus@bofh ttyp0:~> ftp YYY
    Connected to YYY.YYY.YYY.
    220 YYY.YYY.YYY FTP server (Version 6.5/OpenBSD, linux port 0.3.2)
    ready.
    Name (YYY:seamus): seamus
    331 Password required for seamus.
    Password:
    230-
    230 User seamus logged in.
    Remote system type is UNIX.
    Using binary mode to transfer files.
    ftp> ls -al\ ~{
    200 PORT command successful.
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
    ftpd: ~{: No such file or directory
    226 Transfer complete.
    ftp>

    If anyone would like to know more details (exact version numbers of glibc,
    etc..) please feel free to email me..

    --
    TheFloyd