Re: Axis Network Camera known default password vulnerability

From: Joacim Tullberg (joacimat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 05:53:53 PST

    We have over the years tried many different methods
    to encourage users to change the default root
    password immediately after installation of an Axis
    Network Camera or Video Server. The majority of
    users obviously change their passwords but there
    are of course those that do not.

    Below I have listed some of the things we have tried
    over the years:

    - Force change of password prior to making the unit
    fully operational.
    Result: Significant number of support requests due to
    forgotten passwords.

    - Password protection enabled from start with default
    password, the most basic method, currently used in
    Axis 200+ & 200 Network Cameras.
    Result: Support calls requesting the default
    password. (Though clearly stated in the installation
    guide)

    - An option worth considering is to have a unique
    default password for each device, printed on a
    sticker. We have not tried this in real life but I believe
    the result would be - Support requests for the default
    password, a question we would not be able to
    answer and worse, it would also mean that: a
    forgotten password and a lost sticker would make the
    unit useless.

    We welcome all suggestions on how we may
    improve the default password handling procedure
    and increase the security of our Network Camera and
    Video Server product. If you have any suggestions,
    please tell us.

    Best Regards,
    Joacim Tullberg
    Product Group Manager,
    Network Cameras & Video Servers
    Axis Communications

    >Axis Network Camera known default password
    vulnerability
    >by Chris Gragsone
    >Foot Clan
    >
    >Date: November 17, 2001
    >Advisory ID: Foot-20011117
    >Impact of vulnerability: Default Password
    >Exploitable: Remotely
    >Maximum Risk: Moderate
    >
    >Affected Software:
    >Axis Network Camera 2120
    >Axis Network Camera 2110
    >Axis Network Camera 2100
    >Axis Network Camera 200+
    >Axis Network Camera 200
    >
    >Vulnerability Description:
    >
    >Axis Network Camera is an embedded system that
    connects a camera
    >directly to the network. With data rates up to 25
    frames a second and
    >motion detection. It could be used as a web cam, or
    for security. This
    >network camera could also be used as part of an IP-
    Surveillance system,
    >critical to a site's infrastructure.
    >
    >During installation of Axis Network Camera, the
    administrator is not
    >prompted for the password for the root account. If
    the camera is left
    >improperly configured, the attacker could connect to
    the device remotely
    >and obtain administrative access, and reconfigure
    or interrupt the camera.

    >Vulnerability:
    >Log into any Axis Network Camera via ftp, telnet, or
    http
    >Default account: root
    >Default password: pass

    html
    >http://www.axis.com/solutions/cam_vid/surveillance/i
    ndex.html
    >Contact:
    >http://footclan.realwarp.net Chris Gragsone
    (maetricsat_private)

    >Disclaimer:
    >The contents of this advisory are copyright (c)2001
    Foot Clan and may be