Cross-Frame, About Pluggable Protocol, Security Zone Spoofing

From: the Pull (osioniusxat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 09:56:10 PST

    Cross-Frame, About Pluggable Protocol, Security Zone
    Spoofing

    Class: Failure to Handle Exceptional Conditions
    Remote: Yes
    Found: November 27,2001
    Severity: Mild
    Vulnerable: IE 6.0.2600.0000
    + Windows 2000 Update Versions: Q312461
    IE 5.50.4134.0100 Update Versions: q269368
    + Windows ME

    Discussion: By appending merely a percent sign after
    an about url which has opened in a window you can
    access some elements of the previous document's
    document object model. What this means is that you can
    run script in the security context of "My Computer" or
    "Trust Sites" and can embed iframes (text/x-scriptlet
    objects) from varying domains and protocols while the
    Security Zone still reads "My Computer" or "Trusted
    Sites". The limitations in this exploit are from the
    about pluggable protocols security restrictions and
    security restrictions on embedded objects within this
    protocol (if you have the latest patches).

    Exploits: http://www.osioniusx.com

    "trustedSites.html" - Opens an about page in a trusted
    zone and navigates to a javascript url while remaining
    in the Trusted Zone.
    "Domains.html" - Opens two remote sites up in iframes
    while remaining in the My Computer Zone (instead of
    mixed). You could just as well open up .hta, .vbs,
    even .bat files in this manner.
    "MyComputer.html" - Opens about page in My Computer
    zone and navigates to a javascript url.

    Potential Solution: Minor fix on about pluggable
    protocol. Note: Word needs to get out all users that
    they need to update their browsers to the latest fixes
    at all times. I would like to see this automated in
    future versions of IE.

    Vendor Status: Emailed to "Secureat_private".